Monday, July 13, 2009

Fireflies

I'll be off to Unity Village on Sunday July 19th for two weeks of classes. One of the things that is so memorable about the village is seeing fireflies in the evening.
That thought has been on my mind.

And we all know that what we hold in mind comes to expression!

So what should appear in my inbox?

A lesson from the Firefly Team
----------------------------------------
I had been invited to attend a friend's family reunion. Coming from
a very small family (I have one aunt & uncle and two cousins) I
decided it would be a kick to go to my first ever family reunion. I
was not quite prepared for the reality.

It was a little overwhelming to be surrounded by hundreds of
people - all related! My friend had 20 sets of aunts and uncles and
untold numbers of cousins. Add in seconds and thirds; great aunts
and uncles; etc. and you can imagine the swarm of people on that
hot July day. There seemed to be more people than the infamous
North Carolina mosquitoes buzzing around!

I met as many strange faces as I could handle, then escaped to
the sanctuary of his grandma's shady porch. That's where I found
his grandma who had also retreated there to escape the heat.
She was so beautiful with her lined, weathered, ebony face
surrounded by soft silver curls. Her dress, solid white with lace,
was fresh and crisp even in the withering heat. It was her face
that drew me, however. She looked so happy and peaceful, her
eyes shining with a bright light that embraced me immediately.
She patted the step next to her rocking chair with her foot. "Have
a seat and rest a spell."

I sank down gratefully. "Kinda a lot of them, aren't there?" she
asked, reading my mind immediately. "More family than I've ever
seen in my life," I agreed, laughing with her when her silvery laugh
tinkled out. I relaxed against the porch column as we shared
stories of our families. She had many more stories than I did, of
course.

There was a brief silence, then Grandma fixed me with her bright
eyes. "Can I give you some advice?" I nodded eagerly. I was
already so impressed with her loving, lively spirit that I wanted to
hear anything she had to say.

Grandma settled back in her rocking chair, her face getting a
faraway look. "I want you to imagine you're my age, 87 years old.
You're sitting in this rocking chair and you're looking back over your
life - thinking of all the things you wish you'd done." She paused
and leaned forward to make sure I was listening. "Now go do
them." Grandma reached down to grab my hand. "You don't want
to live a life that ends in a lot of regrets. You got dreams, girl. I can
see them in your eyes. Now go do them."

I listened - with both my heart and mind. And I want you to know
I've been doing them ever since. I am so thankful I got that advice
when I was so young. It's given me the courage to do things
against the norm, bucking the tide any time I shy away from things
that I know I'll regret if I don't do them. Her advice has given me
the courage to be me.

One of the things I did was make a list of all the things I wanted to
do in my life. It's changed some as I've gotten older, but I love
marking things off as I accomplish them.
Let me share just a small portion of my list with you
1. Travel in every state in America (I've done 49 so far)
2. Work on a ranch in Texas - done
3. Write a book for Teenagers - I've published 6
4. Write historical novels - I've published 4
5. Work with High School kids - 18 years worth
6. Speak 3 foreign languages - I'm working on Spanish but
still have 2 to go
7. Play the guitar - I'm not great, but I play. I love it!
8. Play the piano - not yet, but I will
9. Travel on every continent - not yet, but I'm working on it.
10. Own my own business - I own 4 and having the time of my life!
11. Bungee jump - What a rush! Now that I've done it, my goal
is to bungee from a bridge in New Zealand!

My list is MUCH larger, but it gives you an idea. Make your own list.
Put it up where you can see it, then start working toward marking
off each accomplishment. I don't know if you're 21 or 91 but I
learned a long time ago to live as if this was the last day of my life
- because you never know how much time you have.

I also decided a long time ago to make the most of every day -
believing that if I was still breathing I had that day to live to the
fullest and make a difference. I'm 50 today but I plan on still living
that way every day of my life.

Life can be thought about. Or it can be LIVED!! I hope you'll decide
to live every day, every moment with gusto - coming to the end
with absolutely no regrets! If you do that, then no matter how you
define success - you will have achieved it!
__________________________________________
Beyond their magical beauty fireflies have a great lesson for us.
Fireflies for the Heart was created to teach you how to glow like
the Firefly . Inspiring stories found through
http://www.firefliesfortheheart.com/

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

No comments: