Thursday, October 01, 2009

What was I forgetting to do?

My meditation practices have been in place for many years.

That being said, I have discovered that from time to time I forget how valuable the practice is in my life and stop for a while. Then I wonder (for just one moment… grin...) why things seem to be out of sorts in my life.

So what was it that I was “forgetting” to do?

After I wake up in the morning and have taken a few minutes to know that I’m really awake and not just in a dream state, I spend 15 minutes with my Healing Meditation. I am Holy and whole. This experience of Divine Love is one that I have been trained to teach as well be a participant. I acknowledge and bless my heart, solar plexus, thymus, spleen, navel, throat, Hara (creative Life Center), forehead (third eye), knees, crown, and my feet. In the stillness which follows, I listen for that which is mine in the moment to claim and embrace. Then, gently, easily and effortlessly I bring my attention back to the now, where and when, I am in the moment and close my meditation by reversing the acknowledgement of my body beginning with my feet and finishing at my heart. I then offer a prayer of gratitude and thanksgiving.

Throughout my day I take a few (three to five) minutes for a centering meditation where Guidance and Direction are the focal point prior to interaction with clients or congregants.

About 30 minutes before I think it’s time for bed, I sit, focus on my heart and take 5 minutes to be grateful for all the activities of my day. This quiet time prepares me for a wonderful, restful nights sleep.

On the second Saturday of each month I facilitate and participate in the Healing Meditation Process with a group in the church. The largest group, to date, was fourteen people. We begin at about noon and generally are finished between four and six in the evening.

When I hold to this schedule I find everything runs smoothly. There are few if any conflicts in my day. All my appointments are on time, ready to go and grow. Staff handles all that they need to do without additional instruction from me. Meetings are productive and I am blessed and a blessing.

So what was it that I was “forgetting” to do?

As I reflect on the process it seems that the “slide” begins in one of two ways. First, when three or four days pass between client and congregation appointments. It’s so subtle that, at first, I don’t even realize that THIS day I haven’t spent any time in centering meditations. However, overall things seem to be moving forward, so no alarm bells go off. Or second, I look at my schedule for the coming day(s) and begin to wonder how I will accomplish all that I have to do. Once again, overall things seem to be moving forward, and once again no alarm bells go off, and so I don’t do my “closing the day meditation.” Or when I wake up I jump out of bed and start my day without my Healing Meditation. After all, why not? Things are going so well!

W-H-O-O-P-S

Then, as sure as the sun raises in the east and set in the west, challenges begin to show up. Appointments get cancelled, forgotten or start late. Meetings become ego centered and less than productive. My staff left all their brains at home and I must… well you get the point.

In that moment I once again realize how very important my prayer and meditation work is an imperative part of my ongoing spiritual practice. In that moment I once again decide to remember that which is mine to be; that which is mine to do and that which is mine to have.

I stop “forgetting” and once again continue my practice.

May I humbly suggest that you stop "forgetting" as well?

In Oneness,
Rob

No comments: